Hi Beauties – I hope you’re having a wonderful day!
I think we can all agree that there’s nothing more frustrating than working hard on your summer body at the gym only to pass on wearing that backless dress or shoulder-baring top because of body breakouts (or acne). Body acne can show up on your back, chest, butt or any other part of your body and can even effect people who typically have clear skin.
Body acne is caused by overactive oil glands, excess dead skin cells and bacteria. Body acne can get worse in the summer for lots of reasons including – increased exposure to heat and humidity, increased sweating, extra products on your skin such as sunscreen and self tanners, and increased exposure to bacteria from hanging out at the pool (or sitting on edge) or lake.
The good news is there are some great products designed specifically to treat body acne and most breakouts can be cleared pretty quickly. Here are some the products that I’ve used over the years to keep my skin clear all summer long:
1. Eminence Clear Skin Probiotic Cleanser – This product is not specifically formulated for body acne, but I love it so much that I had to include it anyway! This gentle blend of tea tree oil and lactic acid (from yogurt) treat breakouts and exfoliate your skin to keep it smooth.
2. Dr. Joesoef Anti-Acne Soap – I discovered this powerhouse anti-acne soap years ago at a dermatologist’s office. I used to use it on my face & body (believe it or not, I had oily skin in my 20’s and now my skin is normal/dry), but now it’s too drying for my face. With 10% volcanic sulfur, this product is super effective at reducing redness and inflammation of current breakouts and preventing new ones from occuring. Tip: It can be drying, so start by using it every other day.
3. Neutrogena Body Clear Body Scrub – This is a great body acne treatment because it’s super effective at removing the dead skin cells that can clog pores and lead to breakouts. The active ingredient is salicylic acid, which helps keep your pores clear.
4. Jason Pure Natural Purifying Tea Tree Body Wash – Here’s another product that uses anti-bacterial tea tree oil to treat breakouts. I love that it also contains aloe vera to sooth skin and vitamin B5 to fade old acne marks.
5. Glytone Acne Treatment Spray – This is my HG treatment product for body acne. I use it after the shower a few times a week in the summer for prevention. It’s powerful formula contains salicylic acid. Tip: The smell is really strong, but it dries odorless. This is another product that can be drying, so start by using it a couple times a week.
6. Neutrogena Oil-Free Cleansing Wipes – This is a great product to keep in your gym or pool bag- especially if you’re not able to shower right after your workout. These wipes use salicylic acid to keep your pores clear. Bonus: They’re also oil-free and smell great.
A few more tips for keeping clear this summer? Try to shower as quickly as possible after working out or swimming, wear your hair up when you can, and use sunscreen & body products labeled oil-free or non-comedogenic. As always, please send me an email or DM if you have questions – and you can shop my picks at the links below or on my Shop page.